11/20/2013

A Holiday (not) to Remember (by Helen R. Myers) -- FAIL

I truly wanted to love this one...


EPIC ROMANCE PROPOSAL:  He proposes ON TOP OF THE PIZZA.

I saved this Harlequin Special Edition romance from LAST YEAR.  It's from November 2012, and it was advertised to me as part of the "holiday" line of romances.

Since I didn't get to it last year, I saved this one - totally anticipating the day when I could read about her saying "I do," and then pulling the ring box off the pizza - like the most delicious topping of all time, cheese dripping all over the place - but she doesn't give a shit because she's so damn happy! - but NOooOo. This one was bland as all hell.

I will probably never remember the story. I don't even remember their names anymore. I know they were in Texas and there was real estate drama 'bout his ranch he inherited or whatever - and it was just awful.

I will only remember the cover. With the pizza solitaire engagement.

Also, not that it matters to every reader ever, but there are constant/consistent errors about the Marines and the USMC, so everything automatically feels fake to readers who will know.  There is also most ZERO chemistry / romantic development between the characters - suddenly we're in love and we can't stop thinking about each other, right?  I got three-quarters of the way through this book, and I realized too late, "Wait, this isn't getting good at all..."  I skimmed as much as I possibly could on each page - still nothing.

And lastly: This doesn't take place during the Christmas season at all.  It ends right before Thanksgiving.  WTF.

I had to give it one star on Goodreads.

Massive disappointment.

I want my four bucks and four hours back.





2 comments:

Lynn Spencer said...

Oh, that sounds so annoying! And yeah, there are a lot of books out there that get DC and the military completely wrong. Not fun to read.

Jena Briars said...

Thanks, Lynn! Here's to good reading in 2014!