Overall, politically speaking, I personally don't care which side of the bread you butter your toast - I just want people to be happy and have HEAs. (And now Urban-Roux can work on a super HEA for our heroes.)
(WARNING: Heavy amounts of M/M rom-angst inside!)
Cut & Run by Abigail Roux
Conflict: extreme M/M rom-angst plus a serial killer is on the loose... (I can't call it friends-to-lovers since Ty and Zane really weren't friends to begin with...)
I already mentioned this one for Heroes and Heartbreakers, but I'm giving it a stand-alone review because --good Lord almighty this has tons of rom-angst. I'm reading along, thinking, "Wow, Urban-Roux gives good suspense..." and then a few chapters later, I'm thinking...
...this is still a romance novel, right?
But in a GOOD way! Cut & Run did such a great job of keeping me invested in all the plot angles (and so stressed over what was going to happen) that I can certainly see why they have a huge underground legion of fans (aka "the Minions") and why my friend Alicia Obsesses with a capital "O".
Ty is a combat-veteran former Marine (super elite force recon, so his unit was the big swinging dick of the USMC, etc.) and now he's the brilliant FBI Special Agent tough-guy. And he's HYPER-observant, so any sudden movement means your ass is getting pounced! Then there's Zane who is more introverted/book-smart and clean-cut, but he's got a super dark past (mostly involving his tragically-deceased wife and his "habits"). They are oil and water. So they don't exactly "mix", but they're a perfect duo!
We have the following:
- homoerotic tension
- lots of "classified" stuff
- loads more homoerotic tension
- more drugs and alcohol
- and [highlight for slightly spoilierish]: I will NEVER think of POE the same way again. Ever.
- the psycho-est of all serial killers
- homoerotic. tension.
All of it just worked so beautifully. For my first M/M rom-angst (romance?) it was superbly completed with a HFN (happy-for-now) ending. But like I mentioned above, maybe we can get some M/M wedding bells for Ty and Zane...
Things I loved:
- "Alcoholics don't recover" (Shattered my heart into a million pieces to read it, but it's true.)
- Ty's got his Ka-bar. (Every Marine loves his Ka-bar.)
- "crazy ass recon boys" with their dragon skin body armor (They can be pretty cocky.)
- USMC tattoo
- "You're a big softy" = Viagra in the coffee
- "something highly alcoholic that looks like water" = Wednesday night special
Overall: I would recommend this to anyone interested in reading an M/M - or to see what an angsty M/M is all about. (Or for fans of suspenseful who-dunnits, splashed with lots of homoerotic tension.)