4/12/2013

Confessionals: That one time I read a bunch of Inspys...


I have never read an Inspirational Romance. It is just NOT the sub-genre I normally gravitate towards.  

So way back when I first won a bunch of Inspirationals (by Harlequin Life Inspired) from Wendy the Super Librarian, I was expecting this:





Only there's NO making out in the Inspys.  Maybe a warm embrace or a chaste kiss.  Maybe hand-holding, but definitely no licking-of-lips before leaning into a kiss.

My Cali-romance-reading-BFF, Sherise (a staunch atheist), test-drove a free Inspy in pdf from Harlequin, and she g-chatted me the next day like, "Nope, can't do it. Hero is talking about how the heroine isn't a good enough Christian for him or some shit - so this is no bueno!" Hmmmm... ok, now I gotta see what this is all about...

...and as a Catholic, I'm nervously expecting a bunch of key terms to pop up in the plot and dialogue --  like: virgin, Virgin, virginity, sin, cardinal sin, confession, sinner, sacrament, holy, divine, matrimony, sanctity, blessed, Jesus, savior, damnation, hell-fire, purgatory, redemption, etc...

And I was actually... *pleasantly surprised*... in a sweet, sugar-coated, wholesome, Hallmark-y kind of way... and I wanted to write a Heroes & Heartbreakers post about it, but I'm admitting that I felt a bit chicken, and it feels good to acknowledge that - almost like I really didn't expect that I would enjoy these - but for some reason I did - but I was also afraid that my post would offend someone (Christian, spiritual, atheist, agnostic, or otherwise...) but over all, I'm glad I sent it.

And like Wendy the Super Librarian said - "sometimes you just want sweet - no serial killers, no suspended-from-the-ceiling-sex, etc."

Heroes & Heartbreakers, yo! - check it out!





2 comments:

Wendy said...

I have to admit that when I read Inspy, I tend to go with historicals - especially the historical westerns. The religious aspects tend to blend well (I think) with that setting and time period. One of these days I'm going to get around to trying the suspense line - just a matter of finding the right back cover blurb that tickles my fancy :)

Jena Briars said...

Hi Wendy! Thanks for commenting!

I found the Historicals to be the best too! - the characters would confirm to any standard of "It would not be proper for us to furiously make out right now..."