10/01/2012

I was about to title this post "Now I've got Bosoms!", but I stopped myself...

I finally purchased Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart Bitches' Guide to Romance Novels and Everything I Know About Love I Learned from Romance Novels.  And I'm not just saying this as a fangirl...  Ok, yes, I am.  They're brilliant! And my perspective has been completely altered!  (Ok, significantly enhanced.)

And after reading through the first five chapters of Bosoms, my hunch was right:

This completely changes/improves my romance literacy!

Next, I need to purchase/read Pamela Regis' A Natural History of the Romance Novel - and quite a few other books that are referenced/discussed in Bosoms.

This also changes (completely reconstructs) my evaluation method that I first considered for my reviews.  I need to be thinking not only of the characters and conflicts, but also plot clich├ęs, place-holders, constructs of purity, and other smarty-pants analysis stuff - so much more...  Is it wrong that these two books are already starting to look like my texts from grad school?  In only four days they're completely marked-up, tabbed, dog-eared, and creased.

So my next goal would be to finish the Bosoms and Everything by the end of this week, and then work on a few draft reviews...



No comments: